Compass

Compass

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Heat Wave Breaks

I am a cold climate girl living in one of the hottest places on earth.  This week rose to 40 degrees celcius.  I suppose that is just normal for many people, but if you understand that back home in Northern Ontario Canada it has been -37 degrees this month you can see why this is difficult to endure. The record hottest temperature for this area in Australia was 45 degrees, so I suppose it could have been worse. It felt generally like a sauna, or a hot tub while trying to sleep at night. Last night I watched a light show in the sky as heat lightning flashed over the horizon. Today as I write this we finally have a Southerly Buster.  For those folks who are not Australian, a southerly buster is a sea breeze that moves inland to cool everything down usually around mid afternoon on a very hot day. It's been a week of above 35 degree weather, absolutely stifling.  This breeze is what I have been waiting for. The heat meant that I couldn't sleep much and I have had heat stroke for the past two days.  I've drunk about 5 litres of ice water per day to cool off.  I've also had a pressure headache from the humidity and general hotness.


I am dreaming of the ice hotel in Quebec and huskies pulling dog sleds, light blue glaciers, the northern lights, and ice skating on Lake Clear at my parents house.

1 comment:

  1. Have been thinking of you a lot with all the news from Australia re: floods and fires. Your grandma said that your parents went to see you at Christmas. Very nice for you I am sure.
    We had a great Christmas in Florida with our family. The first time we have been together in 10 years. One daughter in Alberta, 2 in Ontario.
    If you do not remember who I am; I am Doug's 1/2 sister who shared the same birthday.
    Nice to see you are enjoying your new homeland and have a great job you are enjoying.

    Elaine Horner.

    ReplyDelete