Compass

Compass

Friday, April 8, 2011

I HEART HARP SEALS


 I was given a stuffed toy baby harp seal when I was a small child and it changed my life! Harp seals live on an island in north eastern Canada and they have their young around the month of February.  By this time of the year the seals have grown and the seal hunt begins.  The Canadian government lets a person with a seal hunting license to kill 6 seals per season.  There is a huge eco tourism industry with tour companies take people out during the season when the babies are white and fluffy.  They charge outrageous amounts to helicopter people in and a few months later this money funds the economy of the area allowing hunters to live and carry out business. Some tour companies are legitimate but many are keeping the hunting business thriving. 

Here is a link to an excellent National Geographic article about the issue:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/static-legacy/ngm/0403/feature3/


4 comments:

  1. Whenever I see a baby seal, I still think of you :) Fond memories my mermaid friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. Every time I see a husky I think of you and tabu. I watched White Fang last night (movie from 1991). We had the best childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo CUTE!!! \( O . O )/ ll hugs ll

    ReplyDelete